Relevant EU Standards for American Plywood
The (updated) harmonised European standard enabling the CE marking of plywood is EN 13986:2004+A1:2015 (Wood-based panels for use in construction – Characteristics, evaluation of conformity and marking).
Important standards for construction with plywood
- EN 13986:2004+A1:2015
- Eurocode 5 i.e. EN 1995-1-1 : Design of timber structures – General – Common rules and rules for building. This gives the rules for timber products when used in the design of construction works.
- EN 636: 2012 Plywood – Specification.
- Performance characteristics and specific applications.
- Specific requirements of EN 636 for general purpose use and for structural (load bearing) applications in dry, humid and exterior conditions as well as a classification based on bending properties.
- EN 314-2: Plywood – Bond Quality – Requirements
- EN 717-1, (EN 717-2) and now EN ISO 12460-3: Wood-based Panels – Determination of Formaldehyde Release
- EN 789: Timber structures – Test methods – Determination of mechanical properties of wood-based panels
- EN 1058: Wood-based panels – Determination of characteristic 5 percentile values and characteristic mean values
- EN 12369-2: Wood-based Panels – Characteristic Values for Structural Design – Plywood
- EN 12871 (now updated): Wood-based panels – Performance specifications and requirements for load bearing boards for use in floors, walls and roofs
- CPD EN/TR 12872: Wood-based panels – Guidance on the use of load-bearing boards in floors, walls and roofs.